Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Potato Goodness



So I started out the day thinking that I was just going to have leftovers and I wouldn’t have to cook a thing today. That went out the window the minute I came across some potatoes I forgot I had bought last week. I remember buying them specifically for this Hasselback scalloped potatoes recipe I came across while on Pinterest a few months back. I had most of the ingredients and I didn’t want the potatoes to go bad so I attempted the recipe.

One thing you should know me and my kitchen experiments is that I will attempt just about any recipe as long as I have 75-80% of the ingredients.  I like to improvise and a challenge is always a good thing. I’ve had a pretty high success rate on recipe substitutions so far.

This modified recipe only ended up having 5 ingredients: potatoes, butter (sliced), cheddar cheese (sliced), olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese. The prep wasn’t too bad. The biggest challenge was to cut the potatoes into thin slices without actually cutting all the way through the potato. It was simple from that point on. You take your slices of butter and cheese and alternately stuff them into the slices of potato. After that it’s a little drizzle of olive oil and pop them in the oven at 400 degrees. After about 45-50 minutes they are removed, have more grated cheddar and Parmesan cheese put on top and popped right back into the oven for another 10 minutes.



When all is said and done, these things come out all bubbly and gooey from the cheese and butter. This is by no means a low calorie meal, but for a potato lover like me it’s heaven. The original recipe called for whipping cream, so I think I’ll try that next time. I also think it might be good with a little heat added to it. I just need to figure out which dry seasoning will work best. I’m always open for suggestions, so send them my way if you’ve got any.

~MLS~

No comments:

Post a Comment